Helping you grow – and protect – your business is GrowthLaw’s mission.
“Bill Price is our lawyer of reference at CEntrance. He’s helped us with intellectual property, software and hardware development contracts, and other business law issues. I would recommend him to anyone as a thorough, effective counselor.” Michael Goodman, CEO CEntrance Inc.
If only being an entrepreneur and business owner were as simple as bringing your idea to life and raking in proceeds as customers beat a path to your door – or website.
But owning a business isn’t that simple. Corporations, LLCs, partnerships – even so-called solopreneurs – must manage their business in accordance with a sometimes staggering number of laws and regulations – and, of course, make a profit while doing so.
- Your business needs to get paid by customers, and probably to oversee and pay employees and suppliers, using contracts to enforce conditions of payment and employment.
- If disputes arise, your access to knowledge of applicable laws and regulations – employment law; courts or commercial arbitration; bankruptcy laws; or warranties and tort exposure to third party claims – can make or break your company.
- You may need to assert rights to intellectual and real property, as well as online site and identity rights.
- You need to know about and obtain appropriate government licenses, and plan for tax and regulatory compliance.
- If your company plans to business abroad, you face an even longer list of legal and regulatory requirements in the global marketplace.
- Don’t even think about what happens if you or another key staff member dies or becomes disabled. No, wait: Do think about what might happen if you or your company need a solution to the “hit by a bus” problem, before losing a key person hits your company like a bus.
You need to face the undeniable fact that handling these kinds of administrative issues can take a significant amount of time, time most of us would prefer to devote to running our businesses. The good news is that helping businesses and not-for-profits manage their inescapable legal and regulatory issues is a GrowthLaw specialty.
Call Bill Price (800-630-4780) or email him . . . and get answers to your business operations questions.
Operations Law Resources:
- Clearing the Underbrush An August 2014 talk to the Lincolnwood Chamber of Commerce on business options for managing health care costs, lawsuit risks, cash flow troubles, and minority interests or other barriers to enterprise value realization on sale or recapitalization.
- Buy-Sell Agreements A 2014 two-page article on why partners argue, and what they could agree on to arrange their affairs if a partner or other owner dies, wants to retire, needs to be fired, or becomes disabled.